Who doesn’t love cake???? The Great British Bake Off is the most popular show on UK TV and people everywhere are extolling the virtues of a good cake! Cake can do more than just taste good.
Every September, the UK charity Macmillan Cancer Support holds the biggest coffee morning in the world – and since 2013 there has been a Second Life version of the event hosted by Saffia Widdershins of Prim Perfect Magazine and Designing Worlds.
The coffee morning is Macmillan Cancer Support’s biggest fundraising event, where they ask people across the UK to hold a coffee morning and raise money for people living with cancer. In 2015, they raised an amazing £25 million. In the UK, people bake cakes to sell at coffee mornings that they host at their homes, their places of work, their schools, colleges and universities …
In 2013, we held a very special coffee morning at Prim Perfect, where we raised £107.00 (over US$164) through the sale of virtual cake> – and over the last three years we have raised nearly £400 (that’s over US$525) – all through the sale of virtual cake! This year we want to make this bigger and better than ever!
Once again, this year on September 30th, we will be hosting a coffee morning at the Prim Perfect Head Office – and we are inviting people across the grid to join us by holding coffee mornings of their own – in their stores, cafes, and virtual homes.
How do you sell virtual cake?
Well, we thought our virtual cake was rather good value! We asked people to give us their favourite cake recipe, and put it inside a virtual cake. Then when someone bought the virtual cake, they received a real recipe – so they really had whole cakes, that they could make over and over again – and there were a lot of really delicious cakes to try!
Some people made really exquisite Second Life cakes that you could take to display in your own kitchen. Others made simple cakes using the beautiful templates made by Reven Rosca at Meshopotamia, or even simply gave us a recipe and we made the cakes for them. So, you see, anyone can take part!
On the grid, all the money we raise from cakes and donations goes to an avatar we have created especially for the event – Macmillan Coffeemorning (with a registered name of CoffeeMorning Resident). But for people who host their own event, they can donate to our Just Giving page or directly to Macmillan Cancer Support.
Donating through JustGiving is simple, fast and totally secure. Your details are safe with JustGiving – they’ll never sell them on or send unwanted emails. Once you donate, they’ll send your money directly to the charity. So it’s the most efficient way to donate – saving time and cutting costs for the charity.
How can I contribute?
1. You can come to a coffee morning and buy some cake! We’ll be posting times and locations for events closer to the date!
2. You can make a cake, add your favourite recipe, and send it (full perms) to Macmillan CoffeeMorning (coffeemorning Resident), who will be putting them out on offer for the coffee morning. We’ll also be giving you some hints and suggestions next week for ways you can do this – with wonderful templates from Reven Rosca of Meshopotamia.
3. Or you can send your recipe to Macmillan CoffeeMorning inworld or at email@example.com – and we will bake a cake for you!
4. You can host your own coffee morning anywhere on the grid – and send the money to our Just Giving page. This money will be registered (so we can see how much we raise through the coffee mornings) and will be sent securely and directly to Macmillan Cancer Support.
5. Or you can simply make a donation directly through our Just Giving page, or directly to Macmillan Cancer Support.
More information to follow soon but if you’re interested in holding a virtual coffee morning at your club or store please let Kess Crystal or Saffia Widdershins know.
(originally posted on Prim Perfect Magazine and reproduced with permission)